Pages

My time....

I think every wife and mother is faced with the particular dilemma of trying to figure out when we can have time for ourselves!  Most of the time I just crave the moments when I can drink a huge glass of sweet tea, eat a huge bag of popcorn, and watch something shamelessly girly or trashy on T.V.  without someone asking for a drink, bite, or listening to my husband groan if I flip the channel to lifetime, oxygen, or tlc.  However, every time I am presented with this opportunity I feel immediately guilty or selfish.  I should be cherishing every moment I have with my children while they are still young and want to spend every second with me and I should be ecstatic that my husband wants to spend time with me after 3 years of marriage and 2 toddlers later (I would think most men would be running for the hills!).  But I really need some "me" time!

Most of the time I only allow myself to be selfish after everyone in my house has gone to sleep and then I am faced with deciding if I need sleep or "me time" more.  It's almost an impossible decision!  Usually sleep wins...but there are times that I will stay up till 2 or 3 in the morning catching up on tv shows, surfing facebook, reading/writing blogs, etc...  And of course the next day I immediately regret every minute of it because I am exhausted and nap time seems like a distant dream.

Luckily, a friend has just moved back into town and she has been a breath of fresh air!  She helps me to remember that I am the best mom I can be when I have a break and she is even so bold to tell me when I need a break!  Its refreshing to have a different perspective and have someone there for me that can keep me grounded.  While I am sure my children drive her crazy sometimes, she is always willing to come to the house and endure the craziness that comes with my house.  I never feel like she is judging me and I know she is always there to listen.  I am so thankful that now when I need "me time" I feel less selfish because she is either there to indulge in time with me or reassure me that I am doing nothing wrong.

2 comments:

  1. think of it this way, if you don't recharge your batteries now and then can you really be giving your all to your family? everyone needs down time it is a very important part to leading a healthy and balanced life!!

    ReplyDelete