Pages

Thanksgiving strategies...

I absolutely LOVE holiday food!  Dressing, turkey, and candied sweet potatoes are a few of my favs...and a special little family recipe of something we simply call "Pink Stuff" (essentially its cranberries, whipping cream and tiny marshmallows).  All full of carbs, calories, sugar and just delicious.

Married life brings a lot of fun and during the holidays calories.  2 huge Thanksgiving meals in less than a 1 week!!  I feel like I can just look at food and gain an instant 10 pounds.  Fortunately and unfortunatley, both sides of my family are exceptionally great cooks who seem to only know how to prepare food in bulk, so its not just one tempting meal I have to "just say no" to, but its tons of snacks, lunches and ongoing treats for at least a week.

After having children I am extremely hard on myself and my appearance.  I hate the way my body has changed and still have a pair of impossibly small jeans hanging in my closet waiting for the day that I might wish my way into fitting into them.  Then I have to remember that in a short 2 years I lost 112 pounds.  That is something to be proud of, but it is hard to see past when I used to be able to eat whatever I wanted and indulge in my sweet tooth.  Now I can't even sample desserts without my midsection bloating up like a blimp.  So the holiday season and I have a love/hate relationship.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE all the food and absolutely hate playing the battle of wills of deciding whether or not I should eat something.




Luckily, last year I found a way to keep the pounds off and still be able to enjoy the right amount of food without completely undoing a diet and so far it has seemed to work to work this year as well.  Instead of breaking out the stretchy pants for our Thanksgiving day celebrations I bring out the tightest jeans I have...I mean serious muffin top if I am the least bit bloated...or sitting...or slouching.  Everytime I sit down to take a bite I will remember exactly why I am only having a few bites just by looking down at my midsection.  Then absolutely no sweats allowed for a whole week so I won't be tempted to snack around.  Nothing puts motivation in me to workout and not eat terribly bad food than having to wear clothes that show too much imperfection.


I know I sound crazy most of the time, but what woman doesn't have moments where she hates her body?!  I am slowly working on accepting the way I look and just be happy at the size I am, but it is of course a work in progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment