Pages

Homeschool!!!

Ok, the time is rapidly approaching to where if I am going to homeschool my children I seriously have to get my butt in gear!  Max would normally start a preschool program in the fall, but he is already showing a lot of interest in curriculum and learning.  I have my teaching certificate, but I have to be honest and say I am a little bit terrified.

I really want to use a Reggio Emilia and Montessori blended approach, which I think is completely possible because they are both centered around individual learning and I would only be teaching 2 individuals.  So while it is not possible for classrooms of 20 + I think it is the best thing for my children.  If anyone knows of any good homeschooling blogs or curriculum I would greatly appreciate the information.

3 comments:

  1. Talk to Frances. She works at a Waldorf/Montessori type of school. And she's being trained right now in LifeWays Curriculum. :)

    I want to do this SO bad, but Robert doesn't like the idea at all. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the Lifeways training is based out of the work of Rudolf Steiner, and is the early childhood component of Waldorf style teaching. It is really rooted in childrens' participation in home life (cleaning up, cooking, gardening, washing the dishes), and learning through imitation of the worthy adults they love. The way I see it, HOW you teach is WHAT you teach. Another aspect of it, one that I have found to be particularly helpful in my work with children, is the importance of age-appropriate learning. The best way to create healthy learners is to give them enough time and space to themselves to play and explore their world in the early years.

    We do alot of singing, storytelling, nurturing activities like lavender foot baths, and naptime routines. Many of the women in my training have home programs, or work in Waldorf Kindergartens. Several of them also homeschool. It's so exciting to hear that you're considering homeschooling! I applaud your devotion to your little ones!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amber, my favorite homeschool supplier is rainbowresource.com. They have a ginormous catalog of almost every homeschool book/curriculum/project, etc. and a review of every single item. You can pick and choose what you like to do and they probably have it. Don't be worried about homeschooling as it's a natural extension of parenting. I've had my kids in school for a few years and discovered anything you do at home is better than they will get at school. Hope to see you at homeschool group soon or our cookout next Tues. Paula Kennedy

    ReplyDelete