Pages

I will not rush you


Abilene hates her teeth.  I hate them too.  Max and Jerry had a really hard time with teething, but this little girl is getting 3-4 teeth at one time!  Luckily, her terrible tooth (her eye tooth) finally came in this morning!  She has been great all day and has only ate 2 pickles, her usual number of frozen pickles she eats during a day is between 6-8 pickles!!  She starts to even smell like pickles on a hot day.

Yesterday, however, she was completely miserable.  The moment she woke up she cried, yelled, whined, and was honestly kinda rude! We tried all the tricks: tylenol, ice cubes, frozen pickles, cold wash rags, beef jerky, leather, whiskey on her gums, Popsicles, tooth brushes...you name it, we tried it.  The only thing that would soothe her is if I held her and she held her blanket.

Today was not the day for this.  I had laundry all over the house, really needed a shower, I promised the boys cupcakes when they get back from playing, house breaking a puppy, and I was supposed to go to the grocery store for supper tonight.  However, looking at her sweet little tortured face, there was absolutely no way I was going to put her down so I could do all of those things.  So I made a decision.  Today I am going to:

Throw all the laundry back in the dryer and leave it there until bedtime.

 Put dry shampoo in my hair, spray some perfume, and take a shower tonight.

Ask Reed to bring home cupcakes after work.

Put the puppy outside and leave it there.

Fix breakfast for supper.

Let the boys play outside all day or watch movies.

Hold Abilene until she falls asleep or feels better.


It wasn't glamorous...

And  I had to buckle Abilene in her carseat, run back inside and throw on a t-shirt and shoes and go out in public to pick up my kids looking like this...(well, with a t-shirt on, this was before I buckled her in).  




But Abilene didn't scream all day and she got what she needed.  She needed to be held until she felt better and even though I had a ton of stuff to do I promised myself that I would not rush her.
I have to admit it was hard and I just prayed that nobody would pop in my house for a visit today.  It was especially, embarrassingly messy.  By the end of the day my arms and back screamed for relief, but when Abilene fell asleep, she didn't scream, and that was what it was all about.  

Don't rush your babies, they are people too.  It has taken me a long time to learn this lesson (about 4 years), but I will always remember it.  


No comments:

Post a Comment